Update #4 (November 18, 2013)
Here’s the current status of the gluten-free burger market in Metro.
- The Works: Lots of gluten-free burger and side options but poor staff knowledge of what gluten-free means. You can read our review here. Although the Halifax location has closed, the St. John’s, Newfoundland location remains open, as well as over a dozen locations in Ontario.
- Relish: Very Celiac friendly with lots of burger options. Coleslaw is currently their only gluten-free side, however. You can read our review here.
- Cheese Curds Gourmet Burgers and Poutinerie: Offers six gluten-free burger options but no sides. You can read the review here (with a new update!).
- Flipburger: Lots of burger options and gluten-free French fries too! You can read our review here.
- Ace Burger Company: Offers a gluten-free bun. Parent company Brooklyn Warehouse is very gluten-friendly, too!
Update #3 (July 10, 2012)
News outlets are reporting that The Works Gourmet Burger Bistro will be opening in September! (Read the article here.) It’s too early to tell what options the Halifax location will have for Celiacs, but their other locations are gluten-friendly. Stay tuned for more news!
Update #2 (May 10, 2012)
Update #1 (April 11, 2012)
We are getting conflicting news about Relish’s French fries. They have told some people that the fries will not be gluten-free, contrary to earlier reports. We’ll be sure to find out the facts and let you know once they open!
Original Post (April 6, 2012)
Exciting news: two more gourmet burger joints are opening in the Halifax area!
The one we are most excited about is Relish Gourmet Burgers. They will be opening a Halifax location on Quinpool Road (in the old Blockbuster location) sometime in the near future. Even better, they will have gluten-free buns, lots of burger options, and their French fries will be gluten-free.
Flipburger is also opening in May in the old Blockbuster location in Clayton Park. This Coast article states that “Flipburger boasts a long list of environmentally friendly choices, including hormone- and steroid-free meat that’s locally sourced whenever possible,” so perhaps they will have some gluten-free options, too!
Currently, the only contender in the gourmet burger market is Cheese Curds Gourmet Burgers and Poutinerie in Woodside. We’ve asked them about gluten-free options, and although they don’t have much to offer right now, they’re working on finding a local source for gluten-free buns. (That won’t help their French fries, unfortunately.) We’ve shared some information with them, so let’s hope that they can become more gluten-friendly!
We’ll be sure to keep you in the loop on all these exciting gluten-free burger options!