In the months before I was diagnosed with Celiac disease, I discovered gravy. My favourite treat was KFC’s popcorn chicken bowls. Of course, they became off-limits as soon as I was diagnosed. However, I quickly came up with a gluten-free version that tastes just as good and is way better for you! It’s also a great way to use up leftovers after a big dinner.
I often use leftovers for this dish, so there are a few options listed below for some items. I’ve suggested an amount to use for two servings, but it can vary depending on your preferences.
- Two cups mashed potatoes (homemade are best, but you can use instant – just be sure to read the ingredients)
- One cup kernel corn
- Approximately one cup gluten-free gravy (like leftover beef roast gravy, or use Maxwell’s Kitchen brown gravy mix)
- 12 gluten-free chicken nuggets (such as Pinty’s gluten-free chicken breasts or nuggets, or make your own with this recipe)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Prepare or re-heat mashed potatoes and corn.
- Prepare gravy as directed on package, or re-heat leftovers.
- Prepare and bake chicken nuggets as directed.
When everything is cooked, assemble ingredients as follows in two shallow, wide bowls:
- One cup mashed potatoes, spread out to cover the bottom of the bowl
- ½ cup corn spread completely over potatoes
- Six chicken nuggets placed on top of corn
- Sprinkle ½ cup cheese over the chicken nuggets
- Pour gravy as desired over the entire bowl
- Here are the delicious results!