One of my favorite dishes is chicken parmigiana (or chicken parmesan for us North American diners). Believe it or not, it can be made gluten-free without anyone even knowing the difference. Here’s how!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, plus extra if desired (the real stuff from the deli department is best)
- ½ cup fine gluten-free bread crumbs (try Gillian’s; if you use the Italian flavor you can skip Step 3 and you won’t need the spices mentioned below!)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 ½ cups pizza or pasta sauce (or to taste)
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread about one cup of the pizza sauce in a 9 x 13 baking pan (with sides).
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper. Pound to about ½ inch thickness.
- Mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and spices in a shallow bowl. (Feel free to mix up the spices!)
- Beat egg in a second shallow bowl.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg and then in the bread mixture. Then, put in the frying pan and brown.
- Once the chicken is browned, place each piece in the 9 x 13 pan on top of the pizza sauce, creating one layer of chicken.
- Top each piece of chicken with a spoonful of pizza sauce, a handful of mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese (if desired).
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes or a delicious gluten-free pasta! (You can use the tomato sauce in the bottom of the chicken pan for pasta sauce.)