Lately, our grocery store has been carrying super-easy smoothie kits in the freezer section. They contain yogurt bars and frozen fruit, so you just toss the entire package in the blender, add milk, and blend. Although I love the convenience, these packages are around $4 a pop, which is pretty expensive in my opinion.
Luckily, I’ve developed a recipe that is just as easy and flexible, but is more cost-efficient. You can use whatever you have on hand. When I go for groceries, I buy a package of individual yogurt tubs and a bag of frozen fruit, and I’m set for the week!
- 4 oz (approximately 100 grams or 1/2 a cup) tub of yogurt
- 1 cup frozen fruit or two cups fresh fruit
- 2-4 tablespoons of milk
- One teaspoon of sugar (optional)
Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- If using frozen fruit, you may want to add more milk to make it smoother. Vice-versa, if using fresh fruit, you might want to add ice to make it thicker.
- Try different flavors of yogurt to mix things up!
- If using blueberries, use only 1/2 cup. The high pectin content will make your smoothie look curdled quite quickly.
- Think outside the box when choosing fruits. Pineapple, honeydew melon, and watermelon are all delicious, creative options.
- You can make your own frozen yogurt bars by taking a muffin tin, placing 1/2 cup of yogurt in each cup, and freezing it. When frozen, pop the bars out of the tin and into a container for easy mixing.