This recipe is one of my Mom’s go-to meals, and no wonder! It’s quick to prepare, delicious, and can easily be made gluten-free.
Why We Love It
It can be hard to find gluten-free Chinese food, but this recipe really reproduces that sweet and sour flavour. As well, no breading or frying means this dish is far healthier than the restaurant version.
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp. gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ pounds bone-in chicken thighs, or boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped into one-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. water
- Combine ketchup, water, vinegar, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a slow cooker.
- Add chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours (for boneless chicken) to 8 hours (for bone-in chicken).
- Mix water and cornstarch in small bowl. Turn slow cooker up to high and stir mixture into sauce. (If you have used chicken thighs or large pieces of meat, you may want to take them out before doing this.)
- Allow mixture to cook for about 15 minutes, until thickened.
- Serve chicken topped with sauce.
- Both San-J and VH offer gluten-free soy sauces.
- Serve gluten-free chicken fried rice on the side for a real Chinese feast!