Why We Love It
This hearty, easy dish will keep your family warm during those cool fall days.
- One teaspoon of oil
- One and a half pounds (about half a kilogram) of steak or stewing beef
- One envelope (about two tablespoons) of gluten-free gravy mix (we love Maxwell’s brown gravy mix!)
- 2 cups of water
- Half a cup of minced onion
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of gluten-free Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon of ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Brown steaks (about two minutes on each side).
- Remove steak from the pan. Place in a casserole dish or a slow cooker pot and keep warm.
- Mix remaining ingredients in the same frying pan. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Make sure to get the bits off the bottom of the pan – this is where all the flavour is!
- Pour sauce over steak. If you have a slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Or, cook in the oven at 225 degrees for 2 ½ hours.
- Roasted Parmesan potatoes make a perfect companion to this hearty dish!
- When using gluten-free gravy mix, your gravy might require some extra thickening at the end. To do this, strain sauce into a saucepan and place on high heat. Whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water together and then whisk into the sauce.