Why We Love It
This dish is very filling and healthy. It’s also fast and easy to prepare, making it perfect for busy weekday nights and holidays. If you’re intimidated by cooking quinoa, don’t worry! This recipe makes it easy.
Ingredients per Serving
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken broth (Pacific is our favourite brand)
- Salt and pepper to taste (particularly if you’re using a reduced-sodium broth)
- ½ to 1 cup vegetables (such as cucumber, tomatoes, corn, peppers, onions, avocado, asparagus, etc.)
- Approximately two tablespoons olive oil-based salad dressing (like Kraft Extra Virgin Olive Oil Pesto Parmesan)
- Two tablespoons of crumbled goat’s cheese or feta (optional but very nice)
- Wash quinoa thoroughly. (A metal coffee filter is great for this.)
- Mix quinoa and chicken broth in a small pot. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Bring quinoa and chicken broth to a boil. Then, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare vegetables (peel, slice, cook, etc.). Small pieces work best with this dish.
- Allow quinoa to cool for about 15 minutes, if you have time.
- In a large bowl, mix quinoa, prepared vegetables, and dressing. Top with cheese (if using) just before serving.
- Always read the labels to make sure your ingredients are gluten-free.
- You can use 100% quinoa or a quinoa-rice blend for this recipe.
- For a complete meal, grill a chicken breast or fish fillet and serve on top of the salad.