Why We Love It
Before discovering this recipe, our favourite sweet and sour chicken recipe was this slow cooker version. Although it’s delicious and easy, it doesn’t deliver the same textures that a battered, bite-size restaurant dish does. This recipe takes a bit more work but definitely feels like something you would get in a Chinese restaurant.
Ingredients – Chicken
- Three or four boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup canola oil
Ingredients – Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cornstarch and beaten eggs in separate bowls. Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, ketchup, vinegars, soy sauce, and garlic salt. Pour over chicken and bake for one hour in the preheated oven.
- Serve this dish with gluten-free chicken fried rice for a total takeout experience.