Posts Tagged brownies
Why We Love It
We love a good brownie! This recipe takes brownies to a whole new level with caramels, nuts, and extra chocolate.
- 1 package gluten-free brownie mix (enough for an 8×8 or 9×9 pan)
- Ingredients called for on brownie mix box
- 25 gluten-free caramels, unwrapped (we used Kraft caramels)
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 cup gluten-free semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans or peanuts
- Heat oven and prepare brownie mixture as directed on box. (We recommend a 350° or 325° oven.)
- Grease an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan. Spread about 2/3 of the brownie mixture on the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- While the brownie mixture is baking, place the unwrapped caramels and whipping cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about two minutes on high, stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the brownie base from the oven. (Leave the oven on.) Drizzle the caramel mixture over it. Sprinkle half the chocolate chips and half the nuts over the caramel. Then, drop the remaining brownie batter by spoonfuls on top of the chocolate chips and nuts. (It will probably appear quite sparse, but don’t worry – it all bakes together nicely!) Finally, sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips and the nuts over the brownie mixture.
- Place pan in the oven at 325° for an additional 20 minutes, until brownie mixture appears dry on top.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Carefully read the ingredient list on packages of nuts as they are often cross-contaminated with wheat. We used Barbour’s coarsely chopped peanuts.
- The original recipe calls for Betty Crocker gluten-free brownie mix, which is currently only available in the U.S. (not in Canada). However, if you can get your hands on some we highly recommend it!
- Why not make it à la mode with a scoop of ice cream? We enjoy Chapman’s line of gluten-free ice cream.