Why We Love It
This meal from reader Dave is the perfect fast, easy weeknight treat. You probably have all the ingredients required in your pantry right now!
- 4 fish fillets, thawed and at room temperature
- ½ cup gluten-free flour (any blend will do)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Canola oil for frying
- One 355 mL can club soda or gluten-free beer (like Glutenberg Blonde), refrigerated
- Put enough oil in a large frying pan just so it covers the bottom. Place on stovetop and heat on medium until the oil is hot (shimmering but not smoking – about 400 degrees).
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Place about ¾ of the mixture into a wide bowl and the remaining mixture on a plate.
- Slowly add the liquid to the bowl of dry mixture until the mixture is slightly thicker than pancake batter. (You may not need the entire can of liquid.)
- Pat fish dry with paper towel.
- Dredge fish fillets in the reserve mixture on the plate and then dip into the wet mixture.
- Carefully place fish in oil. Cook two to three minutes per side.
- Serve with a slice of lemon and enjoy!
- You can customize this dish by swapping out the spices for different ones. However, don’t leave out the salt or baking powder.
- This dish pairs perfectly with these oven-baked fries.
- If you’re looking for a deep-fryer recipe, try my dad’s secret concoction!