Posts Tagged easy weeknight
Why We Love It
This meal from reader Dave is the perfect fast, easy weeknight treat. You probably have all the ingredients required in your pantry right now!
- 4 fish fillets, thawed and at room temperature
- ½ cup gluten-free flour (any blend will do)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Canola oil for frying
- One 355 mL can club soda or gluten-free beer (like Glutenberg Blonde), refrigerated
- Put enough oil in a large frying pan just so it covers the bottom. Place on stovetop and heat on medium until the oil is hot (shimmering but not smoking – about 400 degrees).
- Mix the dry ingredients together. Place about ¾ of the mixture into a wide bowl and the remaining mixture on a plate.
- Slowly add the liquid to the bowl of dry mixture until the mixture is slightly thicker than pancake batter. (You may not need the entire can of liquid.)
- Pat fish dry with paper towel.
- Dredge fish fillets in the reserve mixture on the plate and then dip into the wet mixture.
- Carefully place fish in oil. Cook two to three minutes per side.
- Serve with a slice of lemon and enjoy!
- You can customize this dish by swapping out the spices for different ones. However, don’t leave out the salt or baking powder.
- This dish pairs perfectly with these oven-baked fries.
- If you’re looking for a deep-fryer recipe, try my dad’s secret concoction!